Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Oscar Predictions/Hopes

Di asked me to do a post on who I think/hope/wish/dream will win this year at the Oscars. Some of the categories will have more than one entry because I may hope someone who's not Eddie Murphy wins, but I may know that someone who IS Eddie is going to win.
I'm super excited about the Oscars this year, I have seen more movies this year than I ever have in the past. I even went to see The Departed again yesterday to make up my mind about the Best Picture category. And my mind is made up.


BEST PICTURE


I am rooting for The Departed.It was by far my favorite amongst the other contenders. Leonardo DiCaprio was phenomenal, as was the rest of the cast.Yeah, I know many of you didn't like the ending, but I couldn't think of a better one. I can see that movie over and over and over again.
Unfortunately, this might be Babel's year. Apparently, some fools think it was highly original and really different. Yeah, I'll give you different. Original? Not so much. I went in excited to see this movie that's 'sending a message' - but is it this year's Crash? I don't think so!

I enjoyed The Queen but I don't know if it belonged in this category. Little Miss Sunshine was a delight, and I thought it was a great film, and I would love for an indie to take it, but I just think The Departed was better, way better.
Finally, Letters from Iwo Jima - ahh, I love war movies. I wanted to get a masters in War Studies before I stumbled upon law schools. WWII was one of my obsessions. And this was a well-made movie, it had all the elements of an awesome war movie. I mean who wasn't involved in making this movie? Eastwood, Paul Haggis, Speilberg. But at the end of the day, it didn't have that extra something.

BEST ACTOR


Hands down, Forest Whitaker.The movie itself was slightly disturbing but I really enjoyed it. Forest Whitaker was Idi Amin. He owned the screen. I can't say that about the other actors nominated. To be fair, I have not seen Venus or Half Nelson - but I have spoken to many people who did and while they all thought these two were fine performances, something about Forest Whitaker's performance awed everyone.
Will Smith was great, didn't love the movie - and it's hard to love the acting when the movie didn't pull you in.
Leo? My dislike of Leo spanned almost a decade. As a 13 year old walking out of Titanic I remember being soooo annoyed with Leo Leo Leo. Since then, I've tried to see as little of his work as possible. Hence my not seeing Blood Diamond when it came out. And then I saw The Departed and I thought - oh my God, what have I been thinking? This man is a great actor. I was a little sad to see he wasn't nominated for his performance as William Costigan. Then I saw Blood Diamond and while I enjoyed it, again, the performance didn't do it for me. He was great, but not as great as Billy C, and not as phenomenal as Idi Amin.

BEST ACTRESS


Ok, before I tell you who should win, can I just ask why the f*ck was Meryl Streep nominated? Perhaps because there was a lack of great female roles this year, but honestly - they could have come up with something better. Acting like uber-bitch got old, we're sick of it. She was good, entertaining but please let's not even consider giving her an Oscar.
I'm going with Helen Mirren here. I've always adored her, and she was fabulous in The Queen. Her performance was dead-on and I don't see any of these other performances as even coming close to her's.
Judi Dench? - ahhh I can't even go back and think about the creepiness of an old teacher obsessed with Cate Blanchett. Eek. Maybe I'm just prejudiced against her here.
Penelope Cruz? - she was great, I'd say she comes 2nd to Helen Mirren in this category.
Kate Winslet? - good movie, interesting, fine performance - I don't think she's a serious contender here.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR


Ok, let me just say - I don't care how amazing Dreamgirls was, I am seeing it later today but I just don't care. The man in Norbit CANNOT WIN AN OSCAR. I'm just a blogger, who am I be giving my opinion? But I am SO anti Eddie Murphy that I'm not even considering him, although I know he'll most likely win.

My Sentimental Favorite: Marky-Mark. Yes, I realize he's a serious actor now, but that's what I call him. He was amazing in The Departed but he was on screen for like 8 minutes - that's not going to get him an Oscar, but he was good, enjoyable, delightful, entertaining. Ahh Marky-Mark,I pray for you to win.
I also LOVED: Alan Arkin. He was just soooo good as the granfather in Little Miss Sunshine. I loveddddd his performance. I'd love to see him win tonight.

Powerful performance: Jackie Earle Haley in Little Children.
Also loved: Djinon Hounsou in Blood Diamond.
This is a tough category, folks. I loved all the performances and hate Eddie Murphy. Oh well, good luck to all (except to the man who impregnated a Spice Girl and denied paternity - WHO KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Another hard one - we all know Jennifer Hudson is taking the Oscar, it is my prediction and hey, I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say anything. But it's worth mentioning the other performances.
As I said before, I didn't really like Babel.Rinko Kikuchi gave a fine performance as a deaf girl, and she was the only one worth receiving any real praise for this movie. Adriana Barraza gave a heart-wrenching performance as well. I thought both women did a wonderful job. As did Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal (although I was mostly thinking oh she's hot, and mmm the 17 year old scares me). However, if I were picking a winner, I'd go with my favorite - Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine. This girl did her thing, she owned the screen, she pulled you in. Something about the confidence, the presence she brought onto the screen made the movie what it is. Abigail, we all know an American Idol reject is taking this from you and that after she gets this Oscar she will be forgotten (WHY THE F*CK IS SHE ON THE COVER OF VOGUE?!?!?!?!)- but I know you'll be around for a long time.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

I loved Water. I also loved Pan's Labyrinth. At the end of the day, I loved Water more. I'm rooting for Water. However, Pan's I think is going to be one of those classics. And I think it will take this, and deserves it too.
My question - if it's "best foreign language film" why the f*ck wasn't Iwo Jima in this category?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST DIRECTOR









I'm not even discussing the others - Scorsese - it's his year. Go f*ck yourself Clint Eastwood, I'M SICK OF YOU.



And that's all folks. I'm done with this. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my day and get together with my partner in crime to watch the the Oscars. Don't forget to tune into E for the Live Red Carpet action!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was amazing! you reallllly like movies!

3:31 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home